If you would like to help the church Board and Officers in their ministries, here is some information about their roles. Each position has a two year term. Expand each section for details about the duties and available reference materials.
Use our password-protected members and adherents page for confidential information including the downloadable PDF of the church phone/address/email list. If you don’t have the password, contact the Congregational Coordinator.
• this permanent committee sets policies and written guidelines for the general themes and structures of the worship activities of the church, consisting of all of the people in the following roles listed below.
Worship Speaker Coordinators (one Board Member) - Andre Pekovich, Evan Kreider & Rosie Perera
• ensures that a suitable speaker is arranged for each Sunday service as needed (view the Worship Service Team Schedule to find out which dates still need speakers, and consult the secure past speakers list with contact info for ideas)
• participate in the Worship Committee
Worship Leader Coordinators (Officers) - Curtis Funk
• ensures that a suitable worship leader is arranged for each Sunday service as needed, and that the person has a copy of the Worship Leader Duties document (PDF, 2 pages 14KB) to help them fulfill that role
• participate in the Worship Committee
• NOTE: view the Worship Service Team Schedule to find out which dates still need volunteers.
Music Coordinator (Officer) - Ruth Enns
• ensures that a suitable song leader and pianist is arranged for each Sunday service as needed.
• participate in the Worship Committee.
• NOTE: view the Worship Service Team Schedule to find out which dates still need volunteers. • Search for keywords in the text of the Hymnal: A Worship Book. There is also a list of hymns by number and alphabetically.
Board of Directors
Moderator (Board Member) - Veronica Dyck
• calls and chairs all official meetings of the congregation and the Board
• represents the church as a liaison to conferences and ministerial associations
• keeps in touch with the various committees and the overall functioning of the church
• ensures that the congregation is informed about issues and development
Congregational Coordinator (one Board Member) - Janice Kreider
• organizes church mailbox labelling
• handles incoming telephone messages and mail
• assistant to the Moderator
• other administrative tasks as assigned by the Moderator and/or Board
• on an exception basis, two people may jointly share this role
Secretary (Board Member) - Andre Pekovich
• takes, maintains and distributes minutes of meetings of the Board and congregation
• ensures that the church directory is published
• in the interim, prepares the weekly “bulletin”
• other duties as required
Treasurer (Board Member) - Doug Medley
• chair of the Finance Committee of three Board-approved members
• ensures that all donations are collected by a counter and verifier then deposited promptly (download and print the 1-page Offering Worksheet PDF)
• ensures that invoices and payroll (if any) are paid up to date (two signing officers required)
• keeps the books of the church and produces financial statements for the Board and congregational meetings
• ensures that charitable donation receipts are issued annually
• files annual charity return and GST rebate
Congregational Care Committee (one Board Member) - Alice Klassen, Karl Brown, Lois Funk, Michael Despotovic
• affirm congregational care in our community
• nurture connections among us as best we can and work at connecting visitors with our ‘regulars’.
• arrange for cards and /or flowers to be sent to the ill and bereaved and to celebrate with spontaneous cards and/or flowers for marking milestones or anniversaries.
• encourage prayer for the people
• express spiritual care and explore how we can practice and grow in Christian life and faith.
Member At Large (Board Member) - Chan Yang
• contribute to the leadership of the church from a congregational perspective, or provide transitional advice for leaders in new roles.
• one currently sits as the board representative of the congregational technical working group.
Refugee Programs Coordinator - Travis Martin
• represents the church on the Westside Churches Refugee Sponsorship Committee
Nominating Committee (ad hoc; formed by the Board)
• must include at least one Board member; formed in January of each year, dissolved after the AGM or as soon afterwards as its work is concluded
• establishes a list of upcoming vacant positions and solicits suggestions from the congregation for names of potential candidates
• contact potential candidates and recommend a slate to the Board and then to the congregation at the AGM for ratification
• nominations from the floor are accepted at the AGM if the nominee is willing to let his/her name stand
• if there is more than one nominee for a position, there will be an election at the AGM
Point Grey Ministerial Association Representative - Rosie Perera
• represent the church on the ecumenical gathering of local Point Grey church leaders
Webmaster - John Lee
• reports to the Congregational Coordinator
• ensures that the PGIMF.ORG domain name is owned by the church and that the current Congregational Coordinator has administrative control of the domain name
• ensures that e-mail addresses and distribution lists at pgimf.org are available for the Congregational Coordinator to use
• posts schedules of events, lists of assigned volunteers, and bulletins at www.pgimf.org on a weekly basis in formats that are readable by nearly all types of common computer configurations (e.g. HTML and Adobe PDF).
Technology Coordinator - Kevin Hiebert
• reports to the Congregational Coordinator
• ensures that the Webmaster and social media account (Twitter, Facebook) administration volunteers have the resources and advice they need
• facilitates the setup and use of the audio-visual worship technology equipment (e.g. LCD projector, stereo system)
• for the church sound system, is responsible to ensure that:
• a Sound Helper is assigned to record each service
• each sermon audio recording is uploaded to the web site
Food Coordinator - Hannelore Schowalter
• ensures that volunteers are assigned to provide ‘goodies’ and brew coffee and tea for each Sunday service as needed.
• set up teams to plan Pot Luck Lunches
• assist the Social Committee with food-related needs at Student BBQs and other special functionsNotes to volunteers:
• Please review the Food Group Assignments (PDF, 1 page, 55KB) to see which two months you are on duty. The leader of each group is responsible for scheduling group members for each Sunday in those two months and communicating the assignments to the Food Coordinator.
• Please download and print the Guidelines for Food Group Individuals (PDF, 3 pages, 11 KB) and the Refreshments Information (PDF, 2 pages, 10 KB). This will help you understand your responsibilities including how to find and use the necessary supplies and equipment.
Chapel Flowers Coordinator - Tena Neufeld
• creates schedule for members to supply flowers for each Sunday.
MCC Liaison - Edward Epp
• receive mail from the Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) and determine how to best present relevant service and giving opportunities to the congregation
• encourage congregational involvement in local activities of the MCC British Columbia office, including the fall festival.
Missions Liaison - N/A
• receive mail from the mission agencies (e.g. Mennonite Brethren Mission and Service International, a.k.a. — MBMS) and determine how to best present relevant service and giving opportunities to the congregation
• correspond with missionaries
Ushers Coordinator - Hannelore Schowalter
• ensures that a suitable usher is arranged for each Sunday service as needed (view the Worship Service Team Schedule to find out which dates still need volunteers).
• ensures that each usher understands his or her duties: welcoming people, handing out bulletins, seating arrangements, taking the offering, and counting the offering.
Membership Secretary - see Congregational Coordinator
• keep accurate records of membership by baptism, transfers, and other related information as required by the B.C. Societies Act and for determining our obligations for conference dues & delegate allotments
• also track non-member adherents for statistical/service purposes
• maintain vital statistics information in confidence
Archivist - Caleb Yang
• keep copies of all church related publications, including bulletins and directories
• preserve records of church functions including photographs, videos and movies, music
• arrange for digitization and storage of church records as appropriate
• work with Congregational Coordinator and Webmaster to register and preserve copyright of church documents as required
• set and fulfill privacy and retention policies for all church archival records
• submit church records to suitable historical archives that would benefit from the record at will or on winding up
Social Committee - Diane Ehling, Sue Kim, Veronica Yang
• arranges showers for engaged couples and families with newborns
• arrange the annual ‘Welcome BBQ’ for students of the Menno Simons Centre
Columbia Bible College Representative - vacant
• receive mail from the Columbia Bible College and determine how to best present relevant service and giving opportunities to the congregation
• encourage congregational involvement in College activities